Friday, August 9, 2013

DIY Mosquito Repellent - Safe For Kids


DIY Homemade Mosquito Spray Repellent

Here's a DIY mosquito spray repellent that is both safe and natural to use for the whole family. This is a great toxin-free economical alternative to commercial sprays containing Deet and other harmful nasties! Just remember to shake it up before each use. **This recipe contains essential oils that aren't recommended for use during pregnancy.

Recipe:
Fill the spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of witch hazel and distilled or filtered water.  For a 26 oz spray bottle like I have pictured, I use 90 drops of essential oils.  (If you're using a spray bottle approximately half of this size, then reduce the recipe by half.)

25 drops - thyme oil
10 drops of each: catnip oil (not pictured), clove bud oil, rosemary oil, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil, and lavender oil
5 drops - cinnamon leaf oil
(optional not pictured) 1 TBS vegetable glycerin which helps to bind the oil molecules with the water - also safe (FYI key ingredient in homemade bubble solution for the kiddos!)

I buy my spray bottles in a 4 pack from my local wholesale club. I get all of my essential oils from puritan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment